Who could resist joining this lively debate - even at the risk of having my
spelling criticised!

There seems to be (more or less) general consensus that we should be asking
for a desk study for sensitive developments - although perhaps drawing the
line at extensions? Anyway have we reached a conclusion about what will be
acceptable? - my feeling is that the authors of PPS23 envisaged some sort of
Sitescope type report as acceptable in most circumstances (particularly
where there is no obvious source of potential contamination) but we all know
they have serious flaws, missing obvious sources of potential contamination
- which means us double checking our records and then negating the whole
point of the process - or if we don't check our records, is the error ours
or the applicants? In addition what happens if they start asking for FOI/EIR
information - are we going to accept our own reports sent back to us as a
finite answer?

Lots of rambling - more questions than answers .......... (but hopefully no
spelling mistakes?!!)
Wendy Lilico
Principal Environmental Health Officer (Pollution)
Development and Environment
Darlington Borough Council
11 Houndgate
Darlington  DL1 5RF
Directline (01325) 388570
Mobile 0779 088 4198
Fax (01325) 388555
email: [log in to unmask]

***************************
DISCLAIMER

1. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. Unauthorised use,
disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender at the above
address and then delete the e-mail from your system.
2. Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not
necessarily those of Darlington Borough Council.
3. This e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus. It
is however the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus
free. No responsibility is accepted by Darlington Borough Council for any
loss or damage arising from the receipt of this e-mail or its contents.