From: Simon Biggs <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [WDL] art and its effect upon politics, economics and gastronomy

Primarily I am talking of Britain and thus I would generally include
Scotland. My few visits to Wales have resulted in a generally good
experience of their cooking (but those visits have been in the Monmouthshire
area, which I know is not typically Welsh).

The food north of the border can be pretty challenging.

I admit I have probably not been careful enough in my use of the terms
British and English. However, when it comes to the food I do not see much
reason to differentiate between them. The UK has its good points, many of
them; it is just that the food is not amongst them. If you spend time in SE
Asia, France or Italy and choose to make an effort to always enjoy the best
food these places offer then what is available "back home" usually appears a
pretty sad affair. You can of course make more of an effort in the UK - but
it is harder and more expensive. Where I live, in South Yorkshire, the
number of good restaurants, serving over a million people, can be counted on
one hand. It is much better in London, but only by a matter of degree. It is
the same culture.

Best

Simon

On 21.09.05 00:00, Lawrence Upton wrote:

>> The impact of ethnic cuisines on the UK palate and culture... cooking =
> in the UK...  most English cooking... Most people in the UK... heavily =
> modified for the English palate
>
> Are you speaking of England or the whole of the UK, you seem to be =
> speaking of them as synonymous

Simon Biggs
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Professor, Art and Design Research Centre
Sheffield Hallam University, UK
http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/cri/adrc/research2/