Not sure if this made it through or I just read the CC so here it is
again.

Steve
----- Forwarded message from "Jensen, J (Jens)" <[log in to unmask]> -----

From: "Jensen, J (Jens)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: [[log in to unmask]: String representation of a DN]
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 15:56:14 +0100
To: "Traylen, SM (Steve)" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]

Hi Steve,

I'll try posting to the list and see if it bounces...

Basically X.509 did it the other way round from LDAP.  Both are valid
representations of the same DN.  The one with the slashes is X.500
(certificates being X.509), and the other one LDAP.

Comparing values is supposed to be case insensitive for many
attributes but in practice usually isn't.  If you don't get the case
right in your gridmap file, then you won't get in.

Worse yet, in ASN.1 which is a platform independent encoding of
various things including certificates, there is more than one
way to encode a string.  printableString is the simplest encoding
for the C, O, OU, L, CN fields, and has the most restricted
character set.  BMPString and T61String are both extended versions,
allowing more characters, but obviously not the same ones.  We
are all supposed to move to UTF8Strings.  The trouble with all
the different encodings is that it is not always obvious how to
compare strings in different encodings.  Which is way the CA
is being restrictive in the character set you can use in the CN
- to ensure that everything can be encoded as printableString.
The support in the toolkits for other encodings than printableStrings
also varies a bit.  Some browsers choke on BMPStrings.  So
best to stick to printableStrings.

To make matters worse, sometimes you see also
C=UK, O=eScience, OU=Oxford, L=OeSC, CN=ian stokes-rees
and
C=UK,O=eScience,OU=Oxford,L=OeSC,CN=ian stokes-rees

Not to mention the fun we had with Email= vs emailAddress=
vs E= we had some time ago.  All are string representations
of the same DN.  The DN is supposed to be *encoded* in ASN.1
in the correct order regardless of what the representation
looks like.

--jens

----- End forwarded message -----

--