Dear Diana,
I guess that you know that Gabriele Rosenthal from Germany who really founded the method has used this method with survivors of the Holocaust. She writes about the healing effects of storytelling and the dangers involved. Notably I recall that she published something along these lines in Qualitative Inquiry a few years ago, maybe three or four.

Apart from this, I wonder what your supervisor may consider to be a 'more formal and less memory provoking method'. It seems to me that if you are to investigate suicide attempt, qualitativiely or quantitatively, you must employ the social and psychological constructs of memory, and the narrator (or the subject in some research paradigms) must construct somehow a storyline about this, and present a version of the story somehow - through a narration - a story about themselves, by themselves, from themselves, or through a (in my opinion) much more reduced and less meaningful mechanistic process of ticking boxes through a questionnaire, (semi)structured interview  or something similar. In my opinion, and on the basis of my experience the former offers an opportunity for people to make sense of their experience as they construct their stories, and the latter increases the chance of emotional, social and psychological disconnect and therefore potential damage. Additionally, the foundations of qualitative research have fundamental epistomological and ontological assumptions about the connection between experience, language and consciousness, and to suggest that this can be articulated through a 'superficially'  prompted account of experience - traumatic or otherwise - somehow seems to me to be wanting to dilute these very foundations.

I am sure that you will encounter issues like this when seeking ethical approval - just seems funny to me that anyone can imagine that there is a superficial way to give an account of something like a suicide attempt - I am a bit perplexed about this! Additionally you may wish to (if you already haven't) delve into some of the feminist methodological literature for some useful and intellectually robust discussion about these types of issues.

Good luck with the thesis, and with your supervisor. I hope that the forum gives you a good grounding for deciding your own position on this, and for fighting your case should uyou decide to go ahead with your choice of BNIM.

Best wishes,
Debra

Dr Debra Hopkins
Research Fellow
Dept of Sociology, Anthropology and Applied Social Science
Room S012 Adam Smith Building
University of Glasgow
Bute Gardens
Glasgow G128RT