From: "Eugenia Tzirtzilaki" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [WDL] technophobia

Hi there
I am stage director, very new to the list and i find this thread very
interesting. I used to be technofobic myself and here's how it used to
be for me: I was afraid not of the thing itself but of the effect it
had to people i knew or people I had heard of. I never saw it as
nothing more or less than a tool, just like the pen, but a very
complicated tool that required lots of time from the operator to
understand it and then, once this was accomplished, it opened up many
possibilities for the user. Possibilities that consumed time. I was
afraid that this would happen to me as well, so I was afraid of it. I
was afraid that I would start to spend more & more time on top of the
computer, interacting with it or w/ others through it and so taking
time away from my other 'natural' interactions with the people that
were physically close to me. I was afraid I would go out less, see my
friends less often or not talk to strangers on the street, cause i
wouldn't feel the urge to.

The fact that I could meet new people through computers was not
convincing since i wasn't gonna be able to hold these people, smell
them, look into their eyes. In this way they'd always remain virtual,
I thought. So, if I were to get sucked in technology in this way I
would live less real life and more in my head, like a junkie of sorts.
I was afraid that I would become disfunctional by the way I would be
inclined to use this new tool.

That's how it was for me. I never thought I shouldn't touch a pc cause
i would damage it and I never had any feelings towards it whatsoever.
What I was afraid of was my own self - the reaction I would have once
I'd get engaged w/ it.
I strated using a computer because i absolutely had to and the first
few months were very frastrating, since I was self-taught. Now (two
laptops on my desk) I do so many things through them, i can't even
imagine my life without them. Still, my first phobia of it was real.
Communication got expanded for me, but it also got far more
complicated. The implications of technology in my life have been
immense and I am not able to yet comprehend half of it. My perception
(its form and rhythms) have changed, my view of the world has changed,
but most importantly the way i relate to others has changed. To me,
the core of what my phobia was about is indeed the core of the
challenge i encounter in dealing w/ computers the way i do.

best,
eugenia

ps. this french movie comes to mind, Farenheit sthg... books were
illegal and literature became oral again. do not get too attached to
anything that can be taken away from you was the moral i guess, or
excatly the opposite...