>The custom of new popes selecting a new name started with John XII,
>whose pontificate ran 955-964.  His original name was Octavian.
>Before that, only one pope is known to have changed his name---John
>II in 533 (whose baptismal name was Mercury).  Over the century
>following John XII, a pattern started to appear of names chosen for
>programmatic purposes.  The first obvious one is Sylvester II, who
>was harking back to the legendary close relationship between
>Sylvester I and Constantine.  There's an amazing run of "seconds"
>starting with Clement II in 1046, as a run of reforming popes
>identified themselves with the early papacy.

It was extremely easy to have an antipope (or two or three) before
the Papal Election Decree of 1059, which established the basic
principles of papal elections as still followed today (election by
the cardinals, acclamation by the populace of Rome, no role for the
German emperor).  Before that, there seem to have been a variety of
edicts by various popes trying to fix an election principle that
didn't include either 1) the most important aristocratic family in
Rome imposing their candidate by force, or 2) a pontiff on his
deathbed choosing his own successor.  But they were ineffective.
Both of this abuses took place in the "election" of John XII, by the
way---he was the bastard son of Alberic II, who controlled Rome
932-954.  Alberic when dying had forced all the nobility and clergy
(including Pope Agapitus II) to swear that they would accept his son
as both prince of Rome and pope.  John XII, also by the way, is that
charming pope who is reported to have had a stroke and died (in his
mid-twenties) while in bed with a married woman.

An extremely handy reference book on the papacy is J.N.D. Kelly's
*The Oxford Dictionary of Popes*, 1986.

Phyllis

--
Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice