Rob Howe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"The glory of the olives". It was conjectured a while back that it could be
a Cardinal who was a Benedictine (also known as Olivetans in some contexts).

Respondeo:

The Olivetans are in fact one of the twenty-one Benedictine Congregations. Most of the monasteries in England belong to the English Benedictine Congregation, but there are houses belonging to other congregations; in particular Turvey Priory, Cockfosters, Turvey Monastery and Rostrevor belong to the Olivetan Congregation.

The Benedictine Congregation of Our Lady of Mount Olivet, to give it its full title, was founded in 1313 by Blessed Bernard Tolomei, who retired with two companions to become hermits. They were soon joined by many new recruits, and before long there was a thriving cenobitical community at Monte Oliveto in the countryside near Siena in Italy.

In 1960, the Congregation joined the Benedictine Confederation and how has houses in Italy, France, Belgium, England, Brazil, the United States of America and Mexico. I do not know if any of the present Cardinals belong to the Olivetan Congregation.

Bill.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html