Marjorie Greene wrote:

> "In this regard, I was
> very favorably impressed, in slightly different ways, with Cardinal
> Ratzinger's pronunciation of Latin and with Patriarch Gregory's
> pronunciation of Greek, obviously learned forms of each language as
> well as learned languages for both men.  What did others think of
> these performances?"
>
> I agree. They both met my very exacting standards. Even the body
> language was right on. I'm sure all we cognescenti were quite
> satisfied.

I find this exchange mildly baffling.  I can only speak of the Latin (as
Greek is all Greek to me), but Ratzinger's pronunciation was the
"Ecclesiastical" Italianate one, standard since about 1900, and not one
which might have been encountered in the mediaeval period (except possibly
in Italy!)

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]