I question the use of the term Grand Inquisitor for Pius V.  The term
seems to fit Spain better than Italy.  (See/hear Verdi's Don Carlo).

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Collection Development Coordinator
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/19/05 3:00 PM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

A quick Google search identifies these popes as grand inquisitors:

Adrian VI 1522-1523
Paul IV 1555-1559
Pius V 1566-1572
Sixtus V 1585-1590