Thanks, Phyllis.  I can't imagine that anyone expects that you're doing
primary-source research when you distil notices for your very valuable
and welcome "column".  Obviously, you're at the mercy of your sources.
The Delaney (published by Doubleday, I see) is new to me; I'll have to
have a look at its disclaimers, etc.  I did just now find it treated as
authoritative at AmericanCatholic.org:
http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/Christmas/faqs.asp#stnicholas

Fulbert, who (like many) is silent about his origins, doesn't seem to be
of quite as many Wherevers yet as Honorius "of Autun", whose
Augustodunum has been variously identified in the wake of demonstrations
that Autun itself has little to commend it in this regard.  But he's in
the same league.  And, of course, deservedly prominent.

Best,
John Dillon

On Sunday, April 10, 2005, at 10:29 am, Phyllis wrote:

> As usual, I'm not doing primary-source research for these things.  My
> main source this year is John Delaney's *Dictionary of Saints*, which
> doesn't cite scholarship.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]