Dear Myra,

If you're interested in immediate as well as in subsequent influence,
you might have a look at Rosemary Horrox, tr. and ed., _The Black Death_
(Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1994), pp. 35-41.  This
slightly abbreviated translation of Michael of Piazza's account
(_Cronaca_, I, 27-29) of the plague's arrival at Messina and its
subsequent effects there and elsewhere in Sicily is one of our best
testimonies for a rapid high mortality among the lesser clergy, a
phenomenon that certainly influenced for the worse the Church's ability
to deliver pastoral services.  Michael's account has a nice Black Dog
story as well.

Best,
John Dillon

PS: You may find Michael's references to the bishop of Catania as "the
Patriarch" a bit confusing.  The incumbent in question happens to have
also been the (Latin) patriarch of Antioch.

On Sunday, April 24, 2005, at 1:18 pm, Myra Struckmeyer wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I am preparing a lecture on religion in the 14th century, a bit
> after my usual
> time of study, and I wondered how much influence "The Plague" had.
> Is there
> any consensus? What do you tell your students? Any comment will be
> appreciated!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]