Sorry Tom, - to say it is 'discussed' is somewhat of an overstatement.
Victor Leroquais has chosen a single text and transformed it from
medieval french to make it comprehensible to modern readers.
His version is far from any 15th c. text I have seen, and he
does not mention the immense variety found in the composition of
the prayers (especially the petition attached to each of the joys).
He has made no attempt to date its first occurrence in any of the
manuscripts in the Bibliotheque Nationale.

His 'edition' of the text has been available on my own website since
1997*; Had it served its purpose would there be no need to prepare
another.  Students of manuscripts feel helpless when they compare
their own readings with his heavily edited 'ideal' modern version.

Only to mention one problem: All have the spelling "[noces] archedeclin"
No manuscript has 'noces archetriclin' as Leroquais pretend to read it!
Students are too often discouraged by such non existing incongruencies.
I would like to comfort them with a clear message: Common sense
has not been or never should be suspended in scholarship.
Best
Erik Drigsdahl

PS: *Cf. http://www.chd.dk/tutor/15joys.html

At 21:42 +0200 12/04/05, Thomas Izbicki wrote:
>This text is discussed in V. Leroquais, Les livres d'heures manuscripts
>de la Bibliotheque Nationale... (Macon, 1943).
>Tom Izbicki

Mag.art. Erik Drigsdahl   CHD Center for Haandskriftstudier i Danmark
Kapelvej 25B 3.tv         Phone: +45 +35 37 20 47
DK-2200 Copenhagen N      Email: <[log in to unmask]>
DENMARK                   http://www.chd.dk

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]