From: "Smith, Glenn (Medsch Hampstead/Mental Health Sciences)"
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:03 AM
Subject: Disabled academics...

> Hi All,
>

> A couple of things which maybe of interest to some of you on this list.
>

> First, I am writing an article aimed at the Guardian about disabled (that
includes chronic conditions) academics and the problems they still face in
entering, maintaining and getting on in their careers as academics, and
whether there are a disproportionate number of disabled academics doing
disability studies as opposed to other subject areas unrelated to disability
and whether this is a healthy trend - if it is a trend or my imagination !

> I recently had to bring this issue up with the ESRC who have funded a
great deal of research into disability but admitted that their equal
opportunity policy with respect to disabled applicants for research grants
needed looking into.

> The ESRC (like other grant bodies) are aware that there are still very few
disabled academics within UK universities and fewer still researching topics
beyond disability as a subject area. I pointed out that while many disabled
academics will take great pride in that their work is always judged equally
alongside that of able-bodied peers without reference to their disability,
the ESRC and others should also recognise that ‘equality’ sometimes has to
also mean identifying and accommodating differences that the disabled person
’s impairment makes on their life and career prospects for disability is
sometimes experientially different to race, religion and sexuality in that
it could be life shortening, career shortening, more financially demanding
etc. I felt like with many equal opportunity policies theirs does not
acknowledge the reality of some disabilities, and therefore provides only a
superficial sense of ‘equality of opportunity’ beyond that of ticking a box
in an attempt to fulfil percentage quotas, which is what is in place now. It
has always struck me as ironic that despite the aspirations of academia to
promote the welfare and inclusion of disabled people through research about
them, this is sadly not reflected in the numbers of disabled people employed
as research fellows and lecturers. And this needs changing.

> So if you have any experiences related to this issue or whether you
disagree or agree with the above I would be interested in hearing from you.

> Second, I recently had a meeting with the UK Chief Medical Officer about
the lack of government policy, help and research on those people who have
grown up with a chronic condition. The meeting was positive and he is
looking further into this as he agrees that there is still much more that
should be done - we shall see! I pointed out that while the government is
actively promoting the 'expert patient scheme' this probably has more
application to older people then those growing up with a chronic condition.
For those, the concerns are more about finance, housing, insurance,
employment - all the social aspects of living that we bang on about on this
list and rightly so - not how to cope with a condition that they are already
expert at coping with over a lifetime.

> So, in addition to my meeting with the CMO  I am also writing to Gordon
Brown to try and take the financial stuff  further since there was nothing
in the budget on these issues and never is really about living with a
chronic condition as an independent young adult growing up with one. If
anyone has any experience or comments on this then please also drop me a
line.

> All the best,
>

> Glenn
>

> Dr Glenn Smith,