Christopher wrote of 11-13th century Chartres:

"Christian" [i.e., saints'] names were definitely not even in a majority, in
that place and time.

In medieval Scandinavia pre-Christian names flourished, despite an influx of Benedictuses and Katarinas from the 12th century onwards, and there is quite a large name-pool, partly, I think, because people felt under obligation to name children after their ancestors.

Presumably the parents who proudly brought little Bear of Thor (Torbiorn) and Bear of the Asir (Asbiorn) to the font, would have known that Thor and the Asir are not generally numbered among the saints....

Lena Wahlgren-Smith

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]