From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of John Dillon
Sent: fim. 24.2.2005 23:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 25. February

On Thursday, February 24, 2005, at 7:34 pm, Phyllis wrote:

> Today (25. February) is the feast day of:

> Gerland (d. c. 1100)  Gerland was a native of Besancon.  He was
> related to the Norman rulers of southern Italy/Sicily, and they gave
> G. an important ecclesiastical role.  G. didn't like it and went off
> to be a hermit.  But he was forced later to accept the bishopric of
> Agrigento, and spent the rest of his life restoring the see.

_Pace_ Phyllis' source here, the evidence for Gerland's having been a
relative of the Hautevilles is late and unreliable.  That he came from
Besancon is only a guess.  Geoffrey Malaterra, Roger I's late
11th-century biographer, refers to G. merely as "Gerlandum quendam,
natione Allobrogum" ("a certain Gerland, of the Savoyard [or perh.
"French"] nation").

Agrigento's cathedral is said to have been dedicated to G. since the
fourteenth century.  Built and rebuilt from the late eleventh century to
the later fourteenth (with rededications in 1315 and 1354) and again in
the later seventeenth century, and heavily redecorated within during the
sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, it has little medieval to show
apart from a couple of windows surviving from the original structure and
its unfinished fifteenth-century belltower.  A front view is here:
http://sicilyweb.com/foto/198/198-02-57-25-9145.jpg
and a side view of the belltower is here:
http://fujiso3.hp.infoseek.co.jp/sc5hp/psc533.html
Detail thereof:
http://sicilyweb.com/foto/2/2-10-21-34-4027.jpg

Other medieval buildings in Agrigento include:

Santa Maria dei Greci (11th-cent.; said to have been G.'s first
cathedral; built over a fifth-century BCE temple; thirteenth-century
portal):
http://www.hotelcostazzurra.it/uk/santamaria.JPG
http://www2.esperia.it/images/attrazioni/agrigento_chsmariagreci.jpg

San Biagio (12th-cent.; built over part of the base of a fifth-century
BCE temple of Demeter):
http://www.aaa-agrigento.it/foto/chiese/new/ch%20san10.jpg
http://fujiso3.hp.infoseek.co.jp/sc5hp/psc529.html
http://www.valleyofthetemples.com/demetra.gif

San Nicola (13th-cent., Cistercian; 16th-cent. buttresses; home of
Agrigento's Museo Archeologico Nazionale):
http://sicilyweb.com/foto/2/2-03-17-22-7378.jpg
http://fujiso3.hp.infoseek.co.jp/sc5hp/psc531.html
http://sicilyweb.com/foto/2/2-03-18-12-9978.jpg

Santo Spirito (Cistercian convent established in 1299; exterior portions
of church and remains of cloister):
http://www.mediatel.it/agrigento/sspirit1.html
http://www.mediatel.it/agrigento/sspirit3.html
http://fujiso3.hp.infoseek.co.jp/sc5hp/psc532.html