So if there is no difference why using srmcp you need the data servers
exposed to the internet? Are they SRMs themselves? Pehaps I haven't
understood what an SRM is. I thought dcache was one of the SRMs, is it
not?

cheers
alessandra

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Steve Traylen wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 02:14:56PM +0000 or thereabouts, Owen Synge wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 14:05 +0000, Alessandra Forti wrote:
>>> Hi Steve,
>>>
>>> as usual we are not talking the same language :) and I need a bit of
>>> explanation.

>>> what package does srmcp belong?
>>
>> d-cache-client-1.0-34
>>
>>> what package do get-turl/3rd party g-u-c/close-turl belong?
>>
>> Any Srm client. So probably the experimental code for CMS is my guess in
>> this case.
>>
>>> what does g-u-c mean?
>>
>> I am guessing Steve means Globus URL Copy
>>
>>> what is the difference between the two?
>>
>> srmcp is written in Java, the rest are in C/C++.
>>
>> srmcp supports dcap.
>>
>> Apart from that, some WSDL passing, and some other trivial stuff not
>> much from my knowledge, can you add more Steve?
>
> Not much, The srmcp supports the SRM cp method where you can ask one
> SRM to copy a file to another SRM on your behalf thus making the
> transfer asyrchonous.
>
> lcg-rep does a (get-source-turl,get-dest-turl), 3rd party globus-url-copy,
> (close-source-turl,close-dest-turl) and is sychronous.
>
> Steve
>

>> Owen
>
> --
> Steve Traylen
> http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/

* Dr Alessandra Forti                      *
* Technical Coordinator - NorthGrid Tier2  *
* http://www.hep.man.ac.uk/u/aforti        *