Hi Adrian

the best place to look is MIDAS and INSCRIPTION - follow the links from
http://www.fish-forum.info/ to find out more than you will probably want
to know.

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer
Heritage Section
Countryside Service
North Yorkshire County Council
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

This email is personal. It is not authorised by or sent on behalf of
North Yorkshire
County Council, however, the Council has the right and does inspect
emails sent from
and to its computer system. This email is the sole responsibility of
the sender

>>> [log in to unmask] 22/02/2005 12:47:29 >>>
I have been working here in the Republic of Georgia as a Cultural
Heritage
Field Co-ordinator on a major pipeline project since 2002 ( a job that
was
originally posted on Britarch, as it happens). As a small team of 3
expats
and six Georgian archaeologists and the Georgian State Archaeology and
Monuments Departments we have been responsible for ensuring minimal
impacts
on known archaeological and monuments sites and developing mitigation
measures where late finds have occurred during construction.

One dimension of the work is "capacity building",  or assisting the
State
Archaeology and Monuments Departments, largely starved of funding over
the
last 10 years, to begin to adopt standards of International Best
Practice.
To this end I have proposed initiating an embryonic GIS-based SMR to
be
further developed by the two bodies, hopefully based on the model
widely
used across the UK by local government and archaeological trusts. (I
should
add that I have a bit of experience in this field, having worked in
this
capacity over the last 5 years in UK Local Government and an academic
institution). This would clearly have to be adapted to suit the
requirements of the governments bodies here.

I would be grateful if other subscribers (particularly SMR officers)
could
provide advice re. current best  practice in database structure (ie
number
and type of fields deemed neccesary or minimally appropriate) or let
me
know if there are any EH guidelines on SMR structure - or any other
thoughts on the matter.

WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily the view of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.