Bob

My local example was only to show how far people walked to work following
the statement
about people moving outside their immediate environment.
In Cornwall many mining families, through necessity where the senior male
was the bread winner, moved regularly to where the work was as you suggest.
Certainly the old saying 'born in the west, married in the centre and buried
in the east' (all of Cornwall) held quite true at times.
Also, up to the late 1800s many farming families were declaring one or more
of their family to be miners or streamers indicating the lack of riches in
Cornish farming!
Further, I seem to remember Prof Philip Payton suggesting that at times up
to 90% of Cornish young men were leaving Cornwall following work trails.
As to agriculture, my attempts to trace families in agricultural holdings in
late medieval times on Bodmin Moor have been almost a waste of time as the
same name rarely appears in two documents which I have taken to show
movement - presumably seeking better land.

One story of dedication involving walking I have is that when I was about 13
I went to a Red Cross Resuscitation Class. The lady I was paired with looked
very old to me then and from her frailty probably was - I got somewhat
chastised for being 'heavy-handed' with her. She had joined the Red Cross
when a girl and, I am told, walked 9 miles each way for her weekly meeting
(Perranporth to Redruth).
Enough!

Tony