To go into details would be to long on the list. But Philippe Aries and others were not right: There are many texts with miracles for little children, a sign that they were highly estimeted. You can imagine, if one of two born children dies, that they were very pecious! Children till the age of 6 lived with the mothers, then the education was getting different correspondig to the sexes. But there was in Early Middle Ages less difference in estimation between the sexes than later, partly because of the importance of the ability to get children: You see clearly in the sources, that in Early Middle ages there were more cognatic connections (over the female line) than later, when the agnatic heritage prevailed. These all are demografic facts - reflected in the above mentioned miracles an in the marriage-laws etc. - and have nothing to do with the Holy Child. As I mentioned above, it would be a long story to present all the arguments which destroy this old theory, but this ist the nucleus. Happy New Year Karl Brunner, Vienna Am 7. Jän 2005 um 18:52 Uhr schrieb Ann Ball: medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture I have read that during the early middle ages the status of children in Europe was not high and they were not considered "real people" until they were adults (what age?)  Can anyone on this list comment on this?  Was it a low status? What time period? When did it change?  Any idea why?  I am postulating that it began to change when the devotion to the Holy Child Jesus became popular but I'd like to have any ideas. Thanks, Ann ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html Univ. Prof. Dr. Karl Brunner Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung A-1010 WIEN, Universität Tel.: 01 4277 272 10 Fax: 01 4277 9 272 http://www.karlbrunner.at/ http://www.univie.ac.at/Geschichtsforschung/