Dear Jim

Yes, the political process is infinitely messy - which is one reason why
I suspect so much importance always attaches to form and precedence.

I'm seeing this in a much more clearly defined and detailed context in
my present employment on early modern survival of ancient hunting
rights. Those elevated to, inheriting, or buying into higher levels of
British society in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries are going to
impressive lengths to prove their claims to titles and, what's crucial
to them, the rights which go with them. Not only rights in terms of
closeness to seats of power, but also rights that come from landed
possessions: the rents but also the franchises, liberties and
perquisites, and powers of patronage, hospitality and condescension.
Even at the level of demesne lordship, antiquarians were employed to
trace back lineage and the descent of rights which went with lordship
five, six, seven hundred years. (And yes, also to obfuscate and elide
where necessary, not to say invent.)

Again, it's possible to see from an early modern perspective how the
baronial Honors (of which Richmond was a prominent example) were still
among the most richly endowed sources of such wealth and power in
England, just as they clearly were in the middle ages. This is one
reason why the Tudor and Stuart kings were anxious to appropriate and/or
resuscitate them. Certainly in the early modern period, as surely it
must have been the case in earlier centuries, the Honors were living
entities, large organisations responsible for managing lands and
peoples, collecting revenue and dispensing favours. What's different, of
course, is that the early modern aristocrats in Protestant-governed
England don't have recourse to saints to bolster their claims and
status. They do the next best thing, of course, which is to appropriate
and dominate chancels and side chapels with their extravagant monuments
to family, fame, and title.

Casting a long eye from my employment on 'Forests and Chases of England
and Wales, c. 1500 to c. 1850', I was interested in André-Yves'
reference to the installation of Carmelites at Ploermel. As I understand
it, the significance of Carmelite devotion centres around the meanings
of 'karmel' in relation to both forest as wilderness and woodland as
plenty. Can André-Yves tell us how much is known about the use of
Brocéliande for hunting?

It also strikes me, in relation to Armel's dragon and remembering also
Sam Riches' gendered dragons of St George, that Brocéliande is
associated with Melusine, but one thing at a time...

Best wishes

Graham

Dr Graham Jones
St John's College (University of Oxford)
Oxford OX1 3JP
Tel: +(0)1865 280146 (with voice-mail)
e-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Honorary Visiting Fellow