The modern form Armel comes regularly from old-breton Arthmael or Arthmail  (
"bear + prince") ; the same word *arth ("bear") is also part of the name  of
Arthur. You will find these etymologies in every study on Breton onomastic.
For what I know, there's no Breton or Celtic saint with the name Arthur.
I have not read the book by Barber and Pykitt and I don't know if it's  a
valuable study ; but if I understand well, for these authors the  historical
Arthur was a prince of Gwent named Arthmael ?

Burial of Dukes of Brittany Jean II and Jean III in Ploermel is the mark of
their interest for the monks of Mt Carmel : duke Jean II has established the
first house of Breton Carms in Ploermel and he wanted to be buried in  the
monastery.

I think that last study on Marcus Commorus (alias Conomorus) in French  is my
own : "Commor entre le mythe et l'histoire : profil d'un 'chef' breton du
VIe siècle", in Mémoires de la Société d'histoire et d'archéologie de  Bretagne,
t. 74 (1996), p. 419-427. Since this study has been published,  many French
scholars have accepted my thesis that the whole name of Commor was  *Marcus
Aurelius Commorus (alias Conomorus) and the guy a member of the  powerful Marci
Aurelii's dynasty who were hereditary Lords of the  Channel Fleet at the end of
Roman Empire.

Best
ANDRE-YVES BOURGES

to: [log in to unmask]