Not so quick.  It still could have come from the French (monks in England) and
have originated with the Greek Basileus--though I am not sure why.  There is
more work to be done here.  I'm just not up to it yet.  By the way, will you
stop referring to my forefathers as 'chest-thumping, beer-swilling
barbarians...'  They were back-stabing, beer-swilling barbarians.  Chest
thumping does not arrive until gorillas were brought from Africa.

--V. K. Inman

Quoting Rochelle Altman <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hi Terrill,
>
> Neat. Somebody had better write a note to the OED... because
> this means that the word was not  imported from French --
> it was already in the word hoard. but you know, those
> chest-thumping, beer-swilling barbarians ... and all that
> would never have come up with "fancy" words. :-D
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rochelle
>
> Terrill Heaps wrote:
>
> > Rochelle Altman wrote:
>
> > I can't recall at the moment if basilisk was translated into OE, but they
> >
> >> usually came up with translations of critters, not transliterations,
> >
> > Just checking my email before I climb into bed at 0100 a.m. This is
> > the best I can do just now, too sleepy to think. See line 32, below.
> >
> > 26          Foron he his englum bebead,      t hi mid earmum e
> >               on heora handum         heoldan georne,
> >               t u wilwega         wealdan mostest.
> >               And e on folmum         feredan swylce,
> > 30          e ls u frcne on stan         fote spurne.
> >               u ofer aspide miht         eae gangan,
> >               and bealde nu         _basiliscan_ tredan,
> >               and leon and dracan         liste gebygean.
> >
> > For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy
> > ways.
> > They shall bear thee in their hands, that thou hurt not thy foot against
> >                                 a stone
> > Thou shalt go upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon
> >                                 shalt thou tread under thy feet.
> >
> > In the current numeration of the Psalter, this is from Psalm 91 (Qui
> > habitat) vss. 11-13. The Old English is from the Paris Psalter.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Terrill

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]