Hi Terrill,

Neat. Somebody had better write a note to the OED... because
this means that the word was not  imported from French --
it was already in the word hoard. but you know, those
chest-thumping, beer-swilling barbarians ... and all that
would never have come up with "fancy" words. :-D

Thanks!

Rochelle

Terrill Heaps wrote:

> Rochelle Altman wrote:

> I can't recall at the moment if basilisk was translated into OE, but they
>
>> usually came up with translations of critters, not transliterations,
>
> Just checking my email before I climb into bed at 0100 a.m. This is
> the best I can do just now, too sleepy to think. See line 32, below.
>
> 26          Forþon he his englum bebead,      þæt hi mid earmum þe
>               on heora handum         heoldan georne,
>               þæt þu wilwega         wealdan mostest.
>               And þe on folmum         feredan swylce,
> 30          þe læs þu fræcne on stan         fote spurne.
>               þu ofer aspide miht         eaðe gangan,
>               and bealde nu         _basiliscan_ tredan,
>               and leon and dracan         liste gebygean.
>
> For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy
> ways.
> They shall bear thee in their hands, that thou hurt not thy foot against
>                                 a stone
> Thou shalt go upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon
>                                 shalt thou tread under thy feet.
>
> In the current numeration of the Psalter, this is from Psalm 91 (Qui
> habitat) vss. 11-13. The Old English is from the Paris Psalter.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Terrill

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]