Dear John,

Many thanks for this information. I was not aware of either the
edition in the Berschin Festschrift (I used the Vita in the AASS
database) or the Quentin.

From what I remember, the Life was originally composed in Greek and
translated into Latin in the 5th/6th centuries. The Old English and
the French Lives were translated quite a bit later (after the 10th
century I think). Thus the fortuna of the early Bios appears to be
quick translation into Latin and subsequent translation from Latin
into western vernaculars at a much later date.

I have requested the Varanini as I am curious about the Italian
Vita--thanks for alerting me to this.

Happy 2005 to all on the list. It is a gloriously sunny day in
Seattle (I'm here for the AHA end of this week).

Best,

Manu

****
Dear Manu,

I’m away from my books, so some of these Web-gleaned references are
a little sketchy and mostly unverified.

For the Greek Lives, see that in Analecta Bollandiana 2 (1893),
196-205, and the one by Symeon Metaphrastes in  PG 114 (in the
saints of January). The Acta Sanctorum Database will give you, in
Feb. tom. II., the Latin Life from the Vitae Patrum (BHL 2723) plus
a lot of related material including the opening lines of a Latin
Life in verse (for a conspectus of the Latin Lives and their
locations in print, see of course BHL and BHL Supp.).

For more recent scholarship see various encyclopedia articles on E.
(e.g., those in the Bautz Biographisch-bibliographisches
Kirchenlexikon or the Bibliotheca Sanctorum) as well as Joseph
Reisdoerfer, “Incipit Vita sancte Eufrosine qui interpretatur in
latino castissima: Prolegomenes d’une edition critique de la Vita
Sanctae Euphrosynae,” in Scripturus Vitam: Lateinische Biographie
von der Antike bis in die Gegenwart: Festgabe fuer Walter Berschin
zum 65. Geburtstag (Heidelberg: Mattes Verlag, 2002), pp. 711-22.

For the earlier Greek Life, a lot of the secondary literature on
transvestite saints cited by Nicholas Constas in the introduction
to his translation of the Life of St. Mary / Marinos in Alice-Mary
Talbot, ed., Holy Women of Byzantium (Washington: Dumbarton Oaks,
1996) is likely to be very relevant there’s an online .pdf of this
at: http://www.doaks.org/HolyWomen/talbch1.pdf See also the older
but widely read discussions in Quentin’s Les martyrologes
historiques (1908), pp. 165-66, and in Delehaye’s Les legendes
hagiographiques (1927), pp. 189-192.

I’m a bit perplexed by your distinction between “the vernacular
Lives” of this saint and her “Latin or Greek Vitae”. The Greek
Lives are in the vernacular language of native speakers of Greek
(though not necessarily in a form thereof that all speakers of
Greek will have been comfortable with). Mutatis mutandis, the same
could be said for any late antique/ very early medieval Latin Life
written by a Latin- or Romance-speaker for whom Latin/Romance
differentiation either hadn’t yet taken place or at least was not
yet complete.

In another vernacular, there is an ottava rima Istoria di Sancta
Eufrosina among Neri Pagliaresi’s Rime sacre di certa o probabile
attribuzione, ed. Giorgio Varanini (Firenze: F. Le Monnier,
1970).

Happy New Year!
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]