medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

I’ve been Googling in vain for images of the scenes from Arthmael’s life in the sixteenth-century glass at Ploermel (plebs Armel) in Brittany and in S. Sauveur, Dinan. There is a black-and-white drawing of one of the Ploermel lights in Baring-Gould and Fisher, Lives of the Britain Saints, 1, p. 173, as Maddy will know, and a reference to an engraving in S. Roparz, La legende de S. Armel (S. Brieuc, 1855). Alas, there seems not to be a copy of this in any of the Oxford libraries. Can anyone assist – likewise with the Dinan ensemble (again there’s a single sketch in LBS)? But it may well be that Maddy already has the material.

The Life as depicted in the glass appears to mirror that in the late-medieval liturgical sources. Perhaps the tale of Henry Tudor’s danger from shipwreck had a basis in fact, but it must have been powerfully helpful to be sailing home to confront a ruler characterised as a tyrant, under the protection of a saint who was believed to have done just that and to have triumphed. Baring-Gould ventured that the dragon represented the defeated tyrant, in which case, if his guess is correct, Arthmael’s dragon stands for Richard III. Ironic then that Richard’s remains finished up in the river at Leicester as in Arthmael’s legend the dragon was conjured into the river Seiche after its subjection by the saint.

Best wishes

Graham

Dr Graham Jones

St John's College (University of Oxford)

Oxford OX1 3JP

Tel: +(0)1865 280146 (with voice-mail)

e-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Honorary Visiting Fellow