medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

Diolch yn fawr, Maddy! As for Armel/Arthmael, with his dragon on a lead, Sam Riches is the person to ask. Do you have her e-mail address in case she’s not lurking on the List? It occurs to me to wonder whether there was some Arthur-Arthmael connection being made even then (I mean, at the time when the famous late-fifteenth-century images were put in place) – disregarding the modern guesswork which has never really convinced me. Henry Tudor’s wife was brought to bed with Prince Arthur a few weeks after the first anniversary of Henry’s supposedly miraculous rescue from shipwreck on St Armel’s Day in 1485, which of course was the year of Caxton’s printing of Morte d’Arthur. The Matter of Britain was in the air, for sure.

Hwyl!

Graham

Dr Graham Jones

St John's College (University of Oxford)

Oxford OX1 3JP

Tel: +(0)1865 280146 (with voice-mail)

e-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Honorary Visiting Fellow