Dear Sandra,
I would suggest David Bell's _What Nuns Read: Books and Libraries in Medieval
English Nunneries_ (which has a lot to say about the relative use of Latin vs.
vernacular texts).  Also, if German is not a problem, Eva Schlotheuber's
article "Ebstorf und seine Schulerinnen in der zweiten Halfte des 15.
Jahrhunderts" in _Studien und Texte zur Literarischen und Materiellen Kultur
der Frauenkloster im spaten Mittelalter_ deals with the level of Latin
knowledge among nuns in the context of monastic reforms of the 15th century.
Her argument is that northern convents in particular were striving to achieve
a greater level of Latin literacy.

Best,
June Mecham

culture <[log in to unmask]> =====
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Dear listmembers,
>
>while it seems to be common knowledge that there was a rise in vernacular
>literature in the high and later Middle Ages, I can not find any evidence or
>references for the decline in the command of Latin among monastics in the
>later Middle Ages. I don't think that either Clanchy (From Memory to Written
>Record) or Duffy (Stripping of the Altars) make any reference to this. But
>then Clanchy's book only covers the period from 1066 to 1307.
>Yet, the fact that parish priests increasingly turned to vernacular texts
>for the instruction of their flock does not necessarily mean that monks and
>nuns were no longer able to read their Latin books.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thank you, o confluence of brains,
>
>Sandra Lowerre
>
>---

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

June L. Mecham, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of History (0117)
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Blacksburg, VA 24061

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]