medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

Dear All

May I take the opportunity of the beginning of a new year to bring you
up to date with TASC, the project for building inventories of religious
devotion at the local level.

The major event of the past year was that the 30,000 or so records (each
dealing with a single locale) so far available from the Trans-national
Database and Atlas of Saints' Cults have been acquired by the UK Data
Service (acting on behalf also of its other European sister data-banks).
This is important for the security and maintenance of the datasets, as
well as providing a back-up for the on-line availability of the records
from the TASC web-pages (which are generously maintained by the
University of Leicester): http://www.le.ac.uk/elh/grj1/tasc.html
<http://www.le.ac.uk/elh/grje/tasc.html>

New initiatives have sprung up and associations formed in places as far
apart as Mexico and Georgia (the latter assisted by a large financial
grant from the British Academy, for which we are most grateful), but
also including France and Italy.

There will be a colloquium this year at St John's College, Oxford (July
1-3) devoted to dedication datasets. It would be very good to hear from
anyone on the Med-Rel list (and please pass on the invitation to
on-list-members) who has a list of religious dedications which they
would be willing to share with TASC, whether relating to a single
locality or a whole region. To remind you, we are interested in the
dedications and naming of churches, chapels, altars, images, lights, and
so on, feast- and fair-days, and landscape features such wells and
mountains. We are concerned with cults divine, saintly and angelic, and
the project is multi-confessional and multi-period, coming right up to
the present day. This is not a project concerned solely with Catholic
western Europe in the Middle Ages!

Best wishes

Graham

Dr Graham Jones

St John's College (University of Oxford)

Oxford OX1 3JP

Tel: +(0)1865 280146 (with voice-mail)

e-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Honorary Visiting Fellow

University of Leicester

Centre for English Local History

e-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Web: http://www.le.ac.uk/elh/grj1

To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to:
[log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to:
[log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message:
leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report
problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
[log in to unmask] For further information, visit
our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]