Timesis this it? Jane Tibbetts Schulenburg. "The Heroics of Virginity: Brides of Christ and Sacrificial Mutilation." In Women in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance: Literary and Historical Perspectives. ed. Mary Beth Rose. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 1986: 29-72 On Jan 21, 2005, at 12:51 PM, Nancy Caciola wrote: medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Hello, Jane Tibbetts-Schulenburg has an article about the practice of piously-motivated female self-mutilation -- it should be exactly what you need. Unfortunately, I do not have the reference handy, but I believe the title includes the phrase "Sacrificial Mutilation." Perhaps someone else know the full reference. bnest, Nancy Caciola History/ Program for the Study of Religion UCSD richard landes wrote: medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture i remember reading about a woman who mutilated her face to join the beguines because they refused her because she was too beautiful. does anyone have the reference? is there a treatment of beguine attitudes towards physical beauty? r ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html