Leah Rutchick wrote:

> Edson Armi,  Masons and Sculptors in Romanesque Burgundy, 2 vols.,
> University Park ; London : Pennsylvania State University Press, c1983.
> But he has several more recent books, including.
>
> Design and construction in Romanesque architecture : first Romanesque
> architecture and the Pointed arch in Burgundy and Northern Italy / C.
> Edson Armi.
> Published    Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press,
> 2004. --Table of Contents---
>
> 1. History, geography, and construction
> 2. The pointed arch and groin vault in northern Italy
> 3. The pointed arch and groin vault at the beginning of the eleventh
> century in Burgundy 4. The pointed arch and groin vault in Burgundy at the
> end of the
> eleventh century 5. The barrel vault
> 6. Systems of arch support
> 7. The pointed arch and the context of high Romanesque architecture
> in Burgundy.
> Yum Yum (just kidding)

Thanks - I haven't come across that before: I shall have to ask my
romanesque friends what they make of it it :-)

> There is also a short treatment of the topic, with the title Masons
> and Sculptors, by Nicola Coldstream, University of Toronto Press, 1991.
> This is part of the medieval craftsmen series.

Yes, I know that quite well (and I know Nicky Coldstream slightly - she is
the new President of the British Archaeological Association).

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]