On Saturday, January 15, 2005, at 7:19 pm, Phyllis wrote:

> Today (16. January) is the feast day of:

> Henry of Cocket (d. 1127)  Henry was a Dane who went to England and
> became a hermit on the island of Cocket off the coast of
> Northumberland.

Hermitages are often in places difficult of access and Coquet Island
(still pronounced as "Cocket", despite the present Gallic-seeming
official spelling) is no exception.  Not because it's all that hard to
reach physically -- it's only a little way off the coast from Amble, at
the mouth of the river Coquet -- but because it's now a nature preserve
not open to the public.  A partial view of the island, with background
text, is here:
http://www.earlybritishkingdoms.com/adversaries/archaeology/coquet_island.html
TinyURL for this: http://tinyurl.com/63qy5
And an aerial view of the whole place is here, about halfway down the page:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2184091.stm
In addition to the residents featured in that BBC piece, one may of
course also see St. Cuthbert's Cuddy Ducks (eiders) and other avian
species depicted in Durham Cathedral's St. Cuthbert's window (modern):
http://www.durham4business.com/county_durham_images/img0008.htm
Boat tours are available from May to September (from Puffin Cruises);
landings, though, are not permitted.

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]