On Monday, January 10, 2005, at 7:53 pm, Phyllis wrote:

> Today (11. January) is the feast day of:
>
> Leucius of Brindisi (d. 180)  According to tradition a missionary
> from Alexandria, Leucius was the first bishop of Brindisi.  Another
> Leucius, officially "of Alexandria" is also celebrated today---that
> one was martyred in c. 309.

With the perhaps predictable exception of the Benedictines of Ramsgate
Abbey [whose _The Book of Saints_, 6th ed. (1966), p. 559, repeats from
earlier editions a mistaken grouping, already correctly characterized
in Holweck's _A Biographical Dictionary of the Saints_ (1924), p. 607,
as "not genuine", of Alexandrian martyrs Peter, Severus and Leucius
celebrated on this day], the two Leuciuses mentioned above have long
been considered one and the same: the protobishop of Brindisi, of
uncertain date.  For an explanation of why this is so, see Francesco
Lanzoni, _Le diocesi d'Italia_ (Faenza, 1927), vol. 1, pp. 305-09.

L. is sometimes referred to in English as Lucius the Confessor.  His
cult is attested to by the pseudo-Hieronymian Martyrology and by
Gregory the Great and he is the subject of an early medieval Vita (BHL
4894) widely distributed in the Beneventan cultural area but seemingly
unknown to Paul the Deacon when he was writing his _De espiscopis
Mettensibus_ (after 765).  This Vita has later revisions from Brindisi
(BHL 4895; 9th[?]-cent.) and from Trani (BHL 4897; 11th[?]-cent.).  L.
is the first bishop of Brindisi whose name is known.  Apart from this,
none of the aforementioned accounts offers any reliable information
about him.

L. (or parts of L.) underwent various translations from the seventh
century to the eleventh.  Apart from bits that went to Rome and
vicinity at the request of Gregory the Great, he was in Brindisi until
sometime after the Lombard sack of 674, when he was translated to Trani
and housed in the early crypt that bears his today.  In probably the
eighth he was removed to Benevento; in the ninth century an arm was
returned to Brindisi.  In the eleventh century, it seems, the diocese
of Trani got half of L.'s body (or of what was then left of it) back
from Benevento in return for a monetary payment.

L.'s cult is widespread in formerly Lombard areas of the Italian south
and centre.  Canosa di Puglia (BA) boasts the remains of a Byzantine
basilica that was renamed in L.'s honor after that town's capture by
the Lombards in the late seventh century; see (about halfway down the
page):
http://www.canusium.it/Pages/Luoghi/Medioevale/Medioevale.htm#leucio
and, for further detail,:
http://www.itgnervi.it/Basilica%20di%20San%20Leucio.html
http://www.itgnervi.it/Fase%20descrittiva.html
http://www.canosadipuglia.org/sanleucio.htm

A plan of Trani cathedral's rude crypt of St. Leucius is shown here (2d
illustration):
http://www.enec.it/Cripte/Trani/Planimetria.htm
and a view of it is here (3d photograph from bottom):
http://www.trani.org/trani/turismo/itinerari/indexitinerari.asp?id=47

Veroli (FR), in southern Lazio (an area of Beneventan cultural
influence), has a church dedicated to L. in 1079:
http://www.prolocoveroli.it/iti.2.2.html

The cathedral of Atessa (CH) in southern Abruzzo is dedicated to L.,
who according to local legend slew a dragon that was terrorizing the
population.  A fossilized rib bone of some large prehistoric mammal is
still on display in the cathedral in testimony of this feat.  The
building itself has a fourteenth-century portal (with later
modifications):
http://www.dsatessa.it/galleriafotografica/06hi.jpg
http://utenti.lycos.it/sabridip/hpbimg/sanleucio.jpg
http://www.ilportaledelsud.org/atessa.htm

Aside from its reliquary of L., Brindisi itself has little medieval to
show of its sainted protobishop.  Its eigtheenth century cathedral,
dedicated to John the Baptist, sports atop its facade statues dating
from 1957 and depicting the local patron saints.  L. is on the far left
(the others are the soldier saint Theodore,  Lawrence of Brindisi, and
Pius X):
http://www.brindisiweb.com/monumenti/foto/duomo4.jpg
http://www.brindisiweb.com/storia/foto/corpus1.jpg

The archdiocese of Brindisi-Ostuni also owns one of the vessels from
the Marriage Feast at Cana:
http://www.brindisiweb.com/arcidiocesi/foto/idria.jpg
Related, perhaps, is this fresco of the water-into-wine miracle:
http://www.mondimedievali.net/Edifici/Puglia/Brindisi/smcasal05.jpg
from an interesting "gothic" church (with "romanesque" decor), Santa
Maria del Casale (located a short distance outside of Brindisi proper):
http://www.brindisiweb.com/monumenti/index.html
Various views (expandable .jpgs) are here:
http://www.mondimedievali.net/Edifici/Puglia/Brindisi/Brindisi.htm
More details from the frescoes are on this page:
http://www.mondimedievali.net/Edifici/Puglia/Brindisi/Brindisi02.htm#sch
This church, incidentally, was the venue for the trial of the Templars
of Apulia in 1310.

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]