Oof, I'm sorry, John D., please accept my apologies.

The confusion is all my fault.This is what comes of doing three things
at once. Now that the "overview"
book has been released, I've been asked to write up the iconography of
"the" Law as the first book-length
project on one component of a writing system. I wont go into how when
the penny dropped about the
iconography of the ziggarut/high place meant going back over every darn
one of roughly 6,000 hard copy
examples of shape from that point of view.. at least the light dawned
before I had completed the project!
(Shiver)

John Dillon wrote:

>Hi, Rochelle
>
>On Tuesday, January 4, 2005, at 3:47 pm, you wrote:
>
>>You mean on the order of  San Ambroggio in Milan??
>>The floor plan does have more or less the form...
>>
>Well, I didn't specify Christian and in fact that's not what I had in
>mind.  What I had in mind was one version of the Roman basilica with its
>semi-circular apse off a basically rectangular building.  The basilica
>in the legionary camp at Laudun is an excellent example of the general form:
>http://ville-laudun.fr/img/patrim/cesar/basilik.jpg

Yes, I have a photo of it in my collection. The detached "round"
building is much older -- this is a refinement
of the "beehive" construction that dates back to pre-historic
times..Then the round tower type construction,
another refinement on the "beehive," for instance, on Sardinia (before
the Carthaginians changed the architecture
ca. 8th BCE) demonstrates a stage in the development of this type of
detached round structure. The term, of
course, comes from Greek for the royal place where the King held his
court of justice in a separate building.
The Greek version was pillared and open.

>but not of the version of which I was thinking, where the apse comes off
>a short wall.  For that, cf. the Constantinian basilica at Trier:
>http://employees.oneonta.edu/farberas/arth/Images/109images/Early_Christian/Missorium/Trier_Baslica_int.jpg
>TinyURL for this: http://tinyurl.com/4ahvj
>
>That's pretty close in outline to the object you showed:
>http://www.hamsa.com/hamsa_jewish_gold_jewelry/PMC-G_menorah_300.html

It is indeed very similar.

>Of course, as is well known, the form was indeed adopted in Christian
>churches.  But we don't have to come down nearly as far in time as
>Sant'Ambrogio in Milan for examples.  Cf. Santa Sabina in Rome:
>http://www.op.org/international/assets/images/Curia/santa_sabina1.jpg
>
>or these less impressive specimens:
>http://198.62.75.1/www1/ofm/fai/FAIexp01.gif
>(some construction on one side of the apse)
>and
>http://www.athenapub.com/novae3.htm
>
>But the form's use by Christians doesn't make it essentially Christian.

Unfortunately, it does. "Basilica" is strongly linked to the architcture
of Christian churches. Now in a work meant strictly for the scholarly
community I can, with explanatory comments,  use "basilica,"  but in
a heavily researched work that will also be read by the layreader,
"basilica"
is linked to Christian iconography -- so he can't use it.

>>That would be a fine explanation for Christian markers
>>and internal/external architectural features, but it would
>>not explain the appearance on Jewish grave markers and
>>internal/external architectural features.
>>
>True.  But my comment wasn't offered to explain these.  In fact, it
>wasn't offered as an explanation at all.  What I said was:
>"The outline is that of a very common form of single-apsed basilica.
>Just in case no one had noticed."

Yes, and I misinterpreted the comment as a possible answer to my request
for help
on terminology for a friend..

>If the floor plans of some single-apsed basilicas are similar in
>outline, then perhaps the literature on these might be a place to go
>hunting for a suuitable descriptive term.

The scholarly literature uses "basilica" and apse, but essentially as a
church
architectural term. One of my history of architecture books has  perhaps
150 pages on the development of the apse and basilica -- with nary a
mention
in its developmen of the synagogue form, or the role of pre-historic and
Greek
detached round "Royal justice" court structures, or the Sumerian arch shape
symbolizing the shape as indicating a place under the protection of a god.
Two other books are solely on the development of Christian church
architecture.
If you do a library search on the subject, the Christian link
predominates. So, not
a neutral term.

>>And as I said, when
>>incised (actually excised writing area then incised) in the
>>body of the marker -- Christian or Jewish --, the three are
>>all the same height and size. Then a stylized version shows
>>up on Moslem grave markers....
>>

>The application of this to the outline of the figure you showed at
>http://www.hamsa.com/hamsa_jewish_gold_jewelry/PMC-G_menorah_300.html
>escapes me.

The applicaztion is to the relationship of wall tablets and grave
markers to the shape. And
there are certainly enough grave markers from the 9th centiury that have
this shape. I
suspect that we could distinguish Christian sects, e.g. Arian from
Roman, by the shape
of really early grave markers.

>>Then, there is the problem that the oldest single-apse
>>basilicas had "square" shoulders, that is, the round
>>extension simply meets the wall of the main structure
>>squarely.
>>

>I don't see what's problematic about that.  The figure you showed also
>has square shoulders.

I said it was all my fault. I forgot which was which. To use John B's
term,  right now I have
been trying to make sure that I dig up as many as possible variations on
the "rounded shoulder"
arch while at the same time asking for help for a friend on the
"shouldered round" arch...

I plumb forgot the hamsa piece is the "shouldered round" and not the
"rounded shoulder,"
i.e, the early apse as in the 3rd-century AEgina synagogue and the
4th-century Constantine
basilica and several hundred other church architecture examples -- which
I also have on hand.
(I still head for hard copy first --. hope I get more accustomd to
surfing soon -- very soon)

>>I think we've run into the need for a neutral,
>>generally applicable designation.
>>No disagreement here.  But as no one has suggested a non-neutral
>>designation, I don't see your rationale in saying this.

The term "basilica" is not neutral, unfortunately. How could it be? It's
Greek and has
certain associations. We can confine it to its original use of place of
Royal justice, or
we can admit that its primary use, post 1st CE, is in discussing
Christian church
architecture.

>>The apse in Greco/Roman temples was squared off and
>>/within /the temple.. The basilica is /without/ the structure--
>>a round extension to house the apse -- with a raised dias and
>>a railing to separate the leader/priest from the congregation.
>>The early Christians incorporated many of the symbols of the
>>J'lem temple.
>>I don't see the pertinence of Greek-Roman temples.  Why bring them up?

In my study of  the iconography of shape (/not /his), I have to -- just
as I have to examine Egyptian
(different yet again) and examples from other cultures (e.g. Buhhdist
temple architecture, Chinese,
Mayan) for pruiposes of comparison. It has become an automatic response
--I guess it stems from
the books on the histpry of architecture.

>>In any case, the "bimah," or raised place where the leader of a
>>congregation stood -- behind a railing --  was within a round
>>apse extending outwards from the main structure. A third century
>>Synagogue on AEgina (not on-line, saw in person have photos) --
>>or rather the mosaic floor is what's left and is in surprisingly
>>good condition -- is an exellent example of a single round apse
>>with "square" shoulders.
>>
>>While the single round arch (which is why the apse is a rounded
>>architectural external projection) dates back to Sumer/Akkad and
>>Egypt -- with different symbolism on each side of the ANE --,  I
>>have not been able to find examples of the double  round arch before
>>the 3rd-2nd BCE -- and that in Ptolemaic Egypt. I don't think we can
>>classify the two Assyrian side-by-side round god-symbols on the tablet
>>from Sippar as a double arch...  In Syriac iconography, the triple
>>archsymbolizes the Synoptic Gospels, so obviouosly cannot be found
>>BCE.
>>It's really very involved and intertwined. Under the circs, I hope
>>you will not be offended if I think it would be best to use round
>>shouldered -- it's neutral and applies to Jewish, Christian, and
>>Moslem artifacts and architecture.
>>

>> Not having offered a term that one might use, I can hardly be offended
>>by your adoption of "round-shouldered".

My error, I thought you were supplying another possible answer to my request.

>>Though, if you're using
>>"shoulder" to describe the corners of the outline from which the curved
>>element projects, this term doesn't seem particularly accurate.

I don't know about that, John. It's a common term of reference to
people.  We talk about people with
square or round shoulders. The analogy is rather clear and permits a
mental visualization of what is
intended..

After my own mix-up, though, I'm wondering if it would be too confusing
to use the term "rounded shoulder"
arch for the San Ambroggio type  and "shouldered round" arch for the
single-apse type? That is, IF the
distinctions are carefully explained and the relationship to the shape
of early synagogue/Greek "basilica"
architecture laid out...

And again, please accept my apologies for my confusion of two different
types,

All the best,

Rochelle

>Best,