But John, the outline encloses an internal space... ;-)
Actually, he sent me this one because it showed the
shape so clearly. Variations on this round shouldered
form are all over the place in the West --  from ca. the 9th
century through the mid-19th -- on roof lines, tombstones,
stelae, windows, wall paintings, doorways... Curiouser  and
curiouser...

Thanks to all of you.  I've forwarded the  urls Chris
provided to my friend to enable him to see "the real
thing."

Marjorie, my Petite Larousse doesn't have the illustrations  :-(

So, what we would we call the early Lutheran specialty in tombstones --
a round arch with dropped square shoulders (the darndest things are
turning up on search of ancient/medieval/renaissance tombstones/grave
markers).

Thanks again,

Rochelle

John Briggs wrote:

> Christopher Crockett wrote:
>

>> the "shouldered round" arch suggested by John Briggs might do, though
>> there might well be another name for the thing i'm not aware of.
>
> I'd still go for "shouldered round arch" for that shape enclosing an
> internal space, but I'm completely baffled as to what to call the same
> shape
> as an external outline.
>
> John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]