medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Thanks Marjorie,

So, tri-lobed would be the closest technical term among art historians?
I'll pass it on.
I've seen hundreds of examples, mostly on 9th-10th century
tombstones and on triptypchs and occasionaly church windows, but didn't
have a name for the form.Tombstones generally have all thee at the same
height when incised and this "shouldered" shape when the shape is the outline.
Would tri-lobed best be applied to triptychs and triple windows and shouldered
round to tombstones???

And thank you also for that nice site on Romanesque. I've bookmarked it.
But as we can see on that site, the Classic Western arch is the single round
arch. I don't want to contradict you, however, I do have photos on hand of
the props from the Demille (Heston) and Brooks movies. The 1956 version
of DeMille's 10 Commandments has single round arches and the 1926 version
has the familiar "double tombstone" (which already appears in the West in the
8th century in the Amianitus). The Brooks film also has a single round arch, as
does the Soupy Sales version. (The article my friend is writing is on modern
interpretations of the shape of the Decalogue [UK], Decalog [US]. The Sales
prop has an amusing sentence in English written in mixed pseudo Paleo-
Hebraic and archaic Greek scripts.) The  1,000 single arch versions of the 10
that are currently causing the cases against the display were put up gratis as
part of DeMille's 1956 advertising campaign

As the Classic Moorish arch is pointed and Classic Arabic architecture
places windows in groups of three with a "higher" central window arch,
I think that's what gives this outline it's vaguely Moorish quality. Some
triptychs are pointed, as well as some windows. Then there are the Greek
Orthodox round versions that have Persian influences.

Thanks again to both Marjorie and John.

Rochelle

Marjorie Greene wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Dear Rochelle,

Your arch bears a vague resemblance to a trilobe arch or a Moorish arch, but is not really either one. What you have is the classic rendition of what we suppose the tablets of the Decalogue (sp?) looked like and I can still see Charlton Heston (and Mel Brooks ;-))) holding them up after God has written the commandments in fire.
MG

NetZero Gift Certificates
Give the gift of Internet access this holiday season.
http://www.netzero.com/give

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]