Hi Naomi,

        I noted a reduced cusp in four out of 13 sheep/goat lower M3s in a Romano-British assemblage from Gordale Bridge near Malham. In a 1998 literature search I found a mention to the same anomaly in one sheep tooth from Birdoswald. It's also been reported in white tailed deer, but with a much lower incidence than Malham (3 out of 297 mandibles). Refs are:

Izard, K. (1993). The animal bones from Birdoswald CAS site 420, Cumbria 1986-1990. Ancient Monuments Laboratory Reports 13/93.

Guilday, J.E. (1961). Abnormal lower third molar in Odocoileus. Journal of Mammalogy 42:551-553

The Gordale Bridge report was a Bradford undergraduate thesis, so you might be able to find it (or the bones) somewhere in the dept.

Cheers,

Hannah.