Dear Folks

  I am posting this to pass on some information on terminology for
different types of Atlantic cod butchery from my friend and colleague
Christian Keller (U Oslo) who has very kindly caught an error in how we
have been naming what we think are archaeologically visible cuts of
fish. I’d like to pass this on, as I think we may be guilty of spreading
the incorrect term in some recent publications.

   Here is the background and terminology change suggested. In the Iron
Age it appears that cod and other Gadidae were being caught in large
numbers in the islands of arctic Norway and were preserved without salt
by air drying (with temperatures fluctuating a few degrees around
freezing) to produce products which have a very wood-like texture but
which are very light, are nearly pure protein, and which keep without
refrigeration or salting for several years.  These methods seem to have
spread more widely during the Viking age, and zooarchaeologists working
in the N and W isles in Britain and in Iceland and Faroes have tended to
use the Norwegian terms for their reconstruction of the preserved fish
products they feel are represented in their bone collections (and which
are still being produced in N Norway).

 One product has long been called “stockfish” in the literature, and
this refers correctly to a cod that has been beheaded and gutted and
then hung up to dry out in the round without salting. The cleithrum and
other  bones of the pectoral girdle are usually left in the body to keep
it together and are spread out to help dry the interior of the fish.
Archaeologically, stockfish thus are represented on consumer sites by
high percentages of cleithra and by nearly natural proportions of
thoracic, precaudal, and caudal vertebrae, and by reconstructed size
ranges between about 60 -110 cm in live length. It is still OK to call
this product “stockfish”, as there seems to be a strong historical
connection between the term and the product we seem to be seeing
archaeologically.

The other product is made by splitting open the cod body to create a
flat-dried product which could be spread on rocks or shingle beach to
dry. This results in the removal and discard of the head (minus
cleithrum and associated bones) and the upper vertebral elements (all
thoracic and most pre-caudal vertebrae). The discard pile thus has more
upper vertebrae, and the consumption site has a pattern of nearly all
cleithra and caudal vertebrae. This product is best made with smaller
fish in the ca 40-70 cm live length range, and apparently can be
produced under a wider range of temperature conditions than the classic
round-dried stockfish (thus can be made in areas with warmer winters or
in different seasons). In later medieval times, this product was almost
always produced with the aid of salting, and in this case it is
correctly called “klipfisk”. This is the term we have been using for
Iron Age and early Viking period archaeological element and size
distributions which seem to match the flat dried pattern, but it seems
that these earlier products were in fact just air dried and not salted.
In this case, there is another term for this product- in Norwegian and
Faroese this headless flat dried fish without salt would be correctly
called råskjær rather than klipfisk. Christian notes the pronunciation
problems English speakers are likely to have with this term, and
suggests that the German Hanseatic term for the same product (and
clearly derived from the Nordic term) “rotscher“ be used instead, as it
is also linguistically a better match for the widely used “stockfish”
for the round dried salt free product.

 So we should call the flat dried salted headless product klipfisk and
the same product produced without salt (as is probable for the arctic
Iron Age in Norway and the early Viking period elsewhere) “rotscher “.
I hope this helps the probably tiny number of people concerned with such
issues, but it seemed useful to try to get our cod terms right.

  If anyone is interested we do have some excel spreadsheets which work
to automatically calculate and graph cod –family fish skeletal element
distributions and also a bunch of sample element distribution profiles
from both coastal producer and inland consumer sites which we will be
glad to share. All the best, and many thanks for some very interesting
recent discussion threads.

Regards,

Tom McGovern

Thomas H McGovern

Professor,

Dept of Anthropology Hunter College CUNY

Archaeology Coordinator,

CUNY Doctoral Program in Anthropology

Coordinator, North Atlantic Biocultural Organization

Address:

Anthropology Dept.

Hunter College

695 Park Ave. NYC 10021 USA