Dear All,

I have recently come across a dog skull and dog tibia (from separate animals) exhibiting healed fractures, that were probably originally quite severe injuries.  Both date to the Anglo-Saxon period.   Although the healed state of both these fractures suggests the animals were allowed to recover and probably fed (and cared for?); the tibia healed in a position pointing away from the body which suggests that there was no intervention in the healing of the wound itself.  I have found this quite interesting and was wondering if anyone knew of any examples of veterinary care in the past- not necessarily of Anglo-Saxon date?

Thanks in advance

Carina Phillips