Dear zooarchers,
I think I forgot to copy my previous message to the list. I think an obvious
southern hemisphere species would be the freshwater eels of New Zealand and
Australia. They were certainly intensively fished (and managed?). They breed
in the ocean, the young swim into freshwater where they mature, and then the
adults migrate back to the ocean to spawn (although some adults apparently
remain in freshwater and grow to considerable weights - up to 20 kg). No
doubt there are people with a lot more knowledge about this than me!
Jon
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:15:35 -0500 [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hello Again, Amanda,
>	I stand corrected about sturgeon. Becky Wigen informs me that white
> (A. transmontanus) and green (A. medirostris) sturgeon from western
> North America are anadromous. She has seen them, and I checked and
> found the distribution to be as she indicated. I also discovered the
> European Sea Sturgeon, which breeds in fresh water. Interesting. My
> limited familiarity with sturgeon is A. fluvescens, a freshwater
> species. Regards, Greg Monks
>
> On Friday, July 15, 2005, at 07:27  AM, Amanda Kear wrote:
>
> > Hello all
> > Maybe it is the heat, but my mind has drawn a complete blank on this...
> >
> > Can anyone think of any anadromous fish species (those that migrate
> > from sea to freshwater like salmon or sturgeon) that are unique to the
> > Southern Hemisphere, and that support traditional fisheries?
> >
> > I'm thinking along the lines of the salmon runs of the Pacific
> > Northwest USA being the mainstay of the Haida people (and now of
> > salmon canneries!)
> >
> > cheers
> > amanda
> >
> > BBC Natural History Unit
> > Whiteladies Road, Bristol BS8 2LR, UK
> > tel  +44  117  973 2211 (switchboard)  97 47804 (direct)
> > fax  +44  117  974 7544
> >

> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/
> >
> > This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain
> > personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically
> > stated.
> > If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
> > Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
> > reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the
> > BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
> > Further communication will signify your consent to this.

Jonathan C. Driver
Dean of Graduate Studies
Professor of Archaeology
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby BC Canada V5A 1S6
Graduate Studies phone (604) 291-4255  fax (604) 291-3080
Archaeology fax (604) 291-5666