Dear Richard,

thanks a lot for the references you gave. I sent pictures to Sheila Hamilton-Dyer and Wim Van Neer following their invitation. If you and anyone are interested to look at these three pictures, I can send them (377 ko) in private. I think that the species (Clarias ?) is not so difficult to identify from these bones, but unfortunately my knowledge is very limited regarding to the fish bones.
With my best wishes,

Lionel Gourichon
Archeorient (UMR 5133) - Maison de l'Orient et de la Mediterranee
7 rue Raulin - F-69007 Lyon - France

Richard W Redding a écrit :
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Dear Lionel,

There are some drawings and photo (not very good) of Clarias bones in the book
by Douglas Brewer (1989) Fish and Fishing in Ancient Egypt.  An article by von
den Driesch (1986) Fische im alten Aegpten - eine osteoarchaologisches
Untersuchung (Documenta Naturae 34???) on fish from sites in southern Egypt
also has good drawings of select parts.  I have a number of comparative
specimnes and would be glade to look at any images you might send.  I am sorry
I can not be more explicit on the references as I am travelling at the moment
in Europe.

Richard Redding