Interesting questions, Doug, and I don't know! "The Vow" for instance doesn't
have the caesurae in the online Greek original version I googled, but it might be
_heard_ there; I don't know Greek so can't speak to the aural qualities of the
verse. Though the Shearsman review which takes a look at the previous Keeley
translations seems to find them somewhat clunky and wooden. Well, I'm having
lunch next week with my friend who's returned from Greece with the Haviaras
book in hand, so perhaps I'll know more then and have read more of the book
itself. Just in general, I've noticed that when it's possible for me to read the
original that there's often a moment in which in reading a somewhat impassable
translation where I just shift to the other page and find myself reading the
original. There's a new translation of Rilke's Sonnets to Orpheus by Willis
Barnstone that arrived from the publisher the other day and I found myself
doing that with his translations, turning without being aware of it to the German
even though my German isn't so great, and to think about why? requires
unraveling a sort of intuitive response, like explaining a gesture. The
translations are ok but in thinking about it, the Rilke seems _homogenized_,
flattened of edge.

Oh, and stay warm, that is some cold wind blowing your way up there!

Best,

Rebecca