Some of these issues come up from time to time on the GEM list so I thought
I would pass this on to you all.
Details below this message.
Towse Harrison

Whilst not wanting to sound like either a market trader or a chat show guest
desperately trying to plug their latest 'project', I thought the group might
like to know that I've written a little book.
Here's the blurb:
Volunteers and the law
- Are our volunteers covered by employment law?
- What are our health and safety obligations towards our volunteers?
- Should we be doing criminal record checks on our volunteers?
A readable guide to legal issues for volunteer managers. This publication is
the first of its kind dedicated to volunteering. Valuable for large and
small organisations alike, Volunteers and the Law covers all the main areas
of concern:
-Expenses
-Benefits
-Criminal record checks
-Health and safety
-Data protection
-Avoiding creating employment contracts
It's published by and available from Volunteering England for £15 -
volunteering.org.uk/missions.php?id=1073
Mark Restall
Senior Information Officer
Volunteering England
Regents Wharf
8 All Saints St
London
N1 9RL
Switchboard: 0845 305 6979
Direct line: 020 7520 8940
Information Line: 0800 028 3304 (10.30-12.30, 2-4, M-F).