Dear Geraldine

Thanks so much for yours (kissing and making up - please).

To me, your "electricity" is it.

I think it is very difficult to have an identifiable measure for all
poetries - and near impossible when considering sound/concrete/performance
poetry. The frame, the medium is different and is not the page - but relates
entirely to the page. Indeed, everything relates to the page - drama, visual
art, a musical score.

I too get that electricity from John Clare's poetry, from Shelley's 'Ode To
The West Wind' and thousands more. I get that electricity too from Aborigine
'creationist chants,' etc.

Perhaps I'm looking at this entirely the wrong way round: rather than
good/bad perhaps  the essentials are - building participation and thereby
audience? I don't imagine the inspiring poets of the 60s and early 70s had a
criteria as to 'good' poetry, 'bad' poetry - they did it and created
interactive audiences around 'doing it.'

'Doing it' doesn't negate previous work - the classics et al - but could
provide a way forward.

The reason why the Quill Writing Group is the fastest growing writing group
in the UK is a) they're doing it for themselves and b) writers/artists like
myself have never been judgemental about their work - though I've personally
thrown a hundred writing options at them!! While I totally understand your
mention of 'inhouse' publication with a specific group, my task here is to
let them find the 'electricity.' I have that faith.

When - not if - the lightning strikes, we all gain.

Electricity is it.

All best wishes, Rupert