Or, for an even more recent example, consider the difficulties the BBC had
in retrieving information from their late 1980s (Or was it early 1990s?)
Domesday project on those big shiny LP-sized video discs!  So the problems
encountered in these are directly relevant to those we are all meeting
everyday.  Those of us who require submission of digital versions of
reports, survey data, completion of oasis forms etc., as part of completion
of a piece of fieldwork, are taking the chance that we're creating more of
these digital monsters.  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh...
Jim

PS For those too young: LP - an analogue music circular reproduction format
of initially splendid quality which can be selectively converted into big
ashtrays - Bay City Rollers albums get my vote every time....

+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
+~+~+~+~+
   Jim McNeil, South Yorkshire Archaeology Service
   Development Services, Howden House
   1 Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2SH
   Tel.:  0114 273 6428 Fax.: 0114 273 5002
   Email: [log in to unmask]
Website:
http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/planning-and-city-development/urban
-design--conservation/archaeology