From: Kirkham, Andy (DSD) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 December 2004 12:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Watching Briefs - A Useful Form of Archaeological
Mitigation?

I know this may sound like nit-picking but I'm sure archaeology is never
found as the result of a watching brief. I thought archaeology was the act
of "scientific study of the cultural remains and monuments of the remote
past" or something like that and I fear it does the "archaeological
comunity" no favours to mis-apply the term with wild abandon. Making every
hole in the ground or fragment of broken pottery into "archaeology" is not
just gross misuse of the language it's unsustainable and downright
confusing. So come on you professionals, understand your craft, let's have
less of the sloppy talk, and the arguments may become a little more
meaningful.
Cheers - Andrew

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or amended please tell us as soon as possible.