Message
To pick up on the reference to, and absense of, David Smail: I have heard him on a number of occasions question the necessity of new 'brands' of therapeutic (?) psychology, often referred to as 'the field of', 'the new field', etc. (which I think I remember is how Prilleltensky talks about it). When people talk about CP in this forum, I presume they mean Community Psychology, but my CP is clinical psychology - and yet, there seemingly being a separate 'community psychology' almost militates against me (as a trainee clinical psychologist) not using community ideas, because it's not what I should be doing. To me, community psychology IS the critique of clinical psychology. I like to think we can critique AND DO.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David Fryer
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: new CP text - five questions

Thanks for the comments on my original ‘new CP text’ posting so far. Here are a few questions out of the many which have occurred to me reading the comments, in case they are of wider interest:

1. Are we anywhere near directing all critical effort inwards to the c.p. community or are we somewhere near directing almost no critical effort inwards to our own community psychology theory and practice?  Whilst most of us are aware of  negativity towards community psychology from positivists, experimentalists, medical model clinical psychologists etc., what serious critical analysis is there of community psychology from within the frane of reference of its own values and assumptions?

2. Are we in danger of defaulting to the assumption that critical (ideological) analysis of community psychology is hostile or unconstructive? If we are to construct and practice a community psychology which is less ideologically problematic than most manifestations of psychology, shouldn’t we welcome assistance in identifying and addressing problems with what we do? Shouldn't we as a network be creating a context in which critical analysis of each other's work is appreciated as a form of support?

3. Does the geographical location of a voice offer a safeguard against that voice being a manifestation of US dominance Could Mr Blair have contributed more to US military global military domination despite being neither a US citizen or based in the USA?

4. Must we have a proposal for something better, and be able to put it down on paper, before engaging in critical analysis? But in any case, if so, as regards ‘power’, isn’t there already have a radical alternative conceptualisation in the work over many years of David Smail (whose work is not referenced once in the 500 pages of Community Psychology: In Pursuit of Liberation and well-being).

5. Haven’t we learned from Freire that, as dads and as mums, what we ‘know’ cannot be taken at face value and that critical reflection on what we ‘know’, including the stories about ourselves us which we have internalised, is essential if we are to escape being agents of our own oppression? Doesn’t the work of Martin-Baro and popular education in Latin America suggest that critical reflection can not only change things for people but that, in the face of total power, it is one of the few practically effective ways forward?

David

David Fryer
Community Psychology Group
University of Stirling