Today (6. November) is the feast day of:

Melaine (d. c. 530)  Melaine was born at Placet (Brittany).  He
became a monk and was elected bishop of Rennes.  He was a very active
attacker of polytheism.

Illtyd (d. 535)  A largely legendary figure, Illtyd is one of the
most famous of the Welsh saints.  He is supposed to have been of
British family,  but was born in Brittany, and then came to visit his
cousin King Arthur in c. 470.  He married and served in the army, but
became a hermit and then a monk.  I. attracted a lot of disciples who
were organized into the monastery of Llaniltud Fawr in Glamorgan.
Alternatively, I. was a disciple of St. Germanus of Auxerre.  One
Welsh tradition says that I. was one of the three knights who guarded
the Holy Grail.

Leonard of Noblac (d. c. 559)  Legend says that Leonard was a Frank
who converted to Christianity.  His godfather, Clovis I, offered him
a bishopric, but he refused and became a monk.  He founded Noblac on
land he received as a reward for praying successfully for the queen
while she was in labor---all the land he could ride around on a
donkey in a day.  The monastery grew into the town of Saint-Leonard.
Legend also says that Clovis promised to release every captive
Leonard visited, so he's a patron saint of prisoners of war as well
as of women in labor.

Demetrian (d. c. 912)  Demetrian was a Cyprian who became a monk and
eventually abbot.  After 40 years in office he became bishop of
Khytri (Kyrka), and ruled for another 25 years.  He is most famous
for convincing Muslim raiders to release their Christian captives
instead of enslaving them.

Barlaam of Khutyn (d. 1193)  Barlaam was a wealthy citizen of
Novgorod.  After his parents died, he gave his inheritance to the
poor and became a hermit at Khityn.  He organized his disciples into
a monastic community.  B's grave became an important pilgrimage site.

A modern saint: Theophan Venard (d. 1861)  After his education in
France, Venard was ordained and went to be a missionary in Asia, at
first in Hong Kong and then in Vietnam.  It wasn't a very good time
to be a missionary in Vietnam, though, as King Minh-Menh was actively
persecuting Christians.  TV maintained a secret ministry for 4 years
before he was betrayed to the authorities.  He resisted efforts to
get him to renounce his faith (such as keeping him in a small cage)
and was beheaded.  TV was canonized in 1988.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]