-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rowley Cottingham
Sent: 20 November 2004 21:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fend off

Found an RTC on my way home from Leeds on the M1 yesterday. Not a major
problem, but I noticed that the Police parked in fend off opposite from
what I
thought was correct.

The injured car had ended up in Lane 3 entirely. I stopped behind it
with my car
angled towards the central reservation and with the wheels turned also
towards the
central reservation. This meant that if the car was struck from behind
it would deflect
safely to the barrier and not into passing traffic in lanes 1 and 2.

However, the Police car angled everything the OTHER way, so that it
would be
pushed if struck towards the other two lanes. Who was right? Why?

Rowley Cottingham.

Consultant in Emergency Medicine.