A colleague has found this description of a carving in a Gwent church, in a traveller’s journal of 1808:

‘Llantrisant church the most tatterdemalion place we ever saw.  Roof nearly gone, Pews and pavement all to pieces; only one figure remaining, a very curious wooden one, made of flesh and blood.   It stood on a stand six feet from the Ground, tolling the Bell with both hands, the most curious thing we have seen in Wales.  ‘

Does this remind anyone of anything?

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray, in the foothills of God's golden county of Gwent

School of Humanities and Science, University of Wales, Newport

Caerleon Campus, PO Box 179, Newport NP18 3YG. Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

'A good thesis is like a pig. You don't throw anything away, and even after decades you can still re-use it.' (Umberto Eco)

History at University of Wales, Newport: http://timezone.newport.ac.uk

Gwent County History Association website: http://gwent-county-history-association.newport.ac.uk

Cistercian Way: http://cistercian-way.newport.ac.uk