Charles & Jeanne have walk-on roles in Sir Walter Scott's Quentin Durward.

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Collection Development Coordinator
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

But wait... The story gets better. Charles also dumped Maximilian's daughter to marry Anne. As part of the deal, Anne was required (pre-nups were invented by royals...) to marry the next French king, so as to keep Brittany in the realm. Unfortunately the next guy in line was Louis of Orléans, already inconveniently married to the homely daughter of Louis XI, one day to be canonized as Jeanne de France (I think). As someone pointed out, being rich and famous is good grounds for annulment. Louis XII was both, and was believed when he claimed the marriage to Jeanne had never been consummated. Voilà, grounds for annulment! So Anne was the only woman to be married to two French kings, both of whom were rumored to be truly in love with her and hence faithful.
MG

Get your name as your email address.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]